Frequently Asked Questions
Water Heater FAQs:
- Usually the same day.
- Number of bathrooms.
- Number of people using the bathrooms.
- If there is a large soaker bathtub.
- We don’t recommend anything purchased from a box store (home depot, Lowe’s, Ace).
- All of our heaters are purchased from plumbing suppliers and are from top manufacturers with 6-year warranties.
- An anode is a steel cored rod encased in aluminum, zinc, or magnesium. The anode rod is important because it slows the corrosion on the metal inside the water heater tank.
- We can significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to get hot water to fixtures by adding a hot water recirculation system.
- When a water heater makes a rumbling sound while the burn is on, it is usually caused by sediment build-up inside the tank. When this happens the built-up sediment on the bottom of the tank acts like a heat shield. As a result, the water heater operates inefficiently, wasting energy.
- The sediment is clean from the water heater by flushing it. A tanked water heater should be flushed annually, it is done by connecting a garden hose to the spigot on the bottom of the water heater and letting the water run out for about 15 minutes, flushing the sediment out of the tank, this is a service that can be D.I.Y. or we can do it for you.
- Most likely this is caused by sediment build-up or a depleted anode rod or both.
- Water heaters should be serviced yearly.
- A tanked water heater should be flushed annually. When servicing a water heater, we do this for you.
- A tanked water heater also has an anode rod that should be changed every 3 years to get the longest life out of the water heater.
- A tankless water heater requires a pump to be connected to the service ports, and run a descaling solution through the system for 20 minutes. This is done to remove the calcium build-up from inside the Heat Exchanger. We also check the unit’s plumbing connections, check for error codes, and check that the unit is running properly.
- That’s a tricky question, but generally, if a heater is older than 8 years old we don’t recommend replacing expensive parts.
- This is in part due to the hard water we have in Arizona, and in part due to a lack of maintenance. When properly maintained, top brand tankless water heaters last 20+ years with minimal repairs.
- Never run out of hot water. With a tanked heater, you are limited to the amount of hot water that is in the tank. Once that is used up you have to wait up to an hour before it has recovered and the water is hot again.
- With a tankless water heater, the water is heated as it passes through the system and is infinite. We can even add a recirculation pump on the system so it is faucet faster.
- We Only Recommend Navien Tankless water heaters, there are several reasons for this, but some include, ease of owner use, proven track record, built-in recirculation, industry-leading customer support, easy to work on, the list goes on.
- If Natural gas or Propane is available, we recommend Tankless.
- If only electricity is available, we recommend a tanked water heater or a Hybrid.
- Energy saving is the main reason why we recommend tankless water heaters over tanked.
- We do not recommend electric tankless water heaters, they require too much electricity, usually at least 3 – 60amp breakers, and we don’t feel that the technology has improved on them enough for them to keep up with a tanked water heater.
Want to Share your Experience?
We are your Mesa Plumbers!
We are family owned plumbing company located in Mesa Arizona. We offer a variety of plumbing services that can help you with any plumbing problems and any other service related to plumbing.
P&L Plumbing is a local and family owned plumbing business. We proudly serve Mesa and the entire EAST VALLEY (and the surrounding areas) for your plumbing needs. P&L Plumbing focuses on the home and the plumbing issues that surround it. Whether it’s leaky pipes, a backed up sewer line, or something wrong with your sinks, we can take care of those issues for you.