Are you currently searching on Google for “plumbers near me” or “plumbers in Mesa”? If so, you’re not alone! Plumbing issues are a common occurrence, especially for homes or commercial properties that are over 5 years old. As a homeowner or property manager, it is important to be aware of the most common plumbing problems and ask the right questions when hiring a plumbing service in Mesa. To make sure you’re getting the best quality work, here’s a list of 10 frequently asked questions you should consider asking your future plumbers:
What Plumbing Issues Do You Fix?
Plumbers are professionals who spend their time fixing plumbing-related problems. Whether you are looking for residential plumbers or commercial plumbers, you are highly advised to make sure they have the necessary experience and skills to address your specific plumbing needs. To give you a better idea of what plumbers in Mesa typically specialize in, here is a list of the most common plumbing problems:
Clogged Drains and Toilets
Clogged drains are common in households and commercial establishments. Mesa plumbers can provide solutions to this plumbing issue by using a variety of tools and techniques, such as snaking and hydro-jetting.
Leaks in pipes are due to many causes such as corrosion, cracks, or loose connections. Plumbers in Mesa usually do an initial inspection, followed by a detailed diagnosis, before providing the best solution.
Arguably one of the most common reasons why your water bills suddenly increase, dripping faucets is not only annoying and wasteful but costly too.
A common occurrence during winter and colder climates, frozen pipes are a major plumbing emergency. It is important to have someone experienced with plumbing in Mesa to address this issue and prevent any further damage.
Pipe Replacement or Relocation
This is a necessity for older homes and buildings that are experiencing severe wear and tear in the piping system. A complete replacement is often recommended as it is cheaper and more efficient and it addresses underlying issues such as corrosion.
Leaky Water Heater
During cold weather, many homeowners tend to neglect their water heaters, leading to serious plumbing problems later on. Mesa plumbers can help you diagnose and repair the issue by checking for leaks and replacing any faulty parts.
Constantly Running Toilet
Another culprit of water wastage is a constantly running toilet can increase your water bills considerably.
Low Water Pressure
When your faucets are producing low water pressure, it is best to call professional plumbers in Mesa as soon as possible. Low water pressure can be caused by many things such as a clogged or damaged pipe, or a defective faucet.
What Are the Most Common Plumbing Emergencies?
There are those plumbing issues that are considered minor and those that are urgent. Some of the most common plumbing emergencies include:
- Burst Pipes
- Running Toilet
- No Hot Water
- Clogged Toilets
- Clogged Garbage Disposal
These may not seem to be a serious issue to an untrained eye, but they can cause serious and costly damage if not addressed by professional plumbers in Mesa. For example, flooding does not only pose risk to your plumbing system but also to your property as it can damage furniture, appliances, and other items in your home.
How Often Should Plumbing Pipes Be Replaced?
There are different materials used for plumbing pipes and they have varying life spans. Plumbers in Mesa typically recommend that galvanized steel pipes should be replaced after 20-30 years, while copper pipes require replacement within 40-50 years. For some, brass pipes can last up to a hundred years. It is however wise to have your pipes checked regularly, especially if you live in an older home or building. Make sure to have your plumbing inspected, especially when you are noticing some signs of damage or deterioration.
How To Tell if You Have Leaky Pipes?
Leaky pipes are annoying and expensive. Before calling a Mesa plumber, there are signs that will tell you if you have a plumbing issue in your home or business. Some of the common indicators include:
- High Water Bills: Since leaks cause water wastage, your bills will significantly increase.
- Mold: Leaks often cause moisture and mould can be an indication that there is a plumbing problem somewhere on your property.
- Strange Sounds: If you are hearing any strange gurgles, hissing or dripping sounds coming from the walls or pipes, it is best to call for professional help.
- Wet Spots or Stains: A sure sign of a plumbing problem is the presence of wet spots or stains in your ceiling, walls or floors.
- Musty Smell: If you detect a musty smell in your property, then it could also be caused by a leak.
Make sure to familiarize yourself with the common signs of plumbing issues so you can take action as soon as possible. This will help you avoid further damage and costly repairs.
What Pipes Are Most Likely To Burst?
During winter, burst pipes are one of the most common plumbing problems. This is because freezing temperatures can cause pipes to expand and burst. And because of their location, pipes are often overlooked and not winterized properly, leading to further damage.
The most common pipes that are prone to freezing and bursting include:
By outside pipes we mean those that are located in unheated areas, such as garages, basements, attics and under sinks. Due to building insulation not covering these areas, these pipes are more exposed to extreme temperatures.
Yes, you might have unheated pipes in your home or business too, especially if you have older infrastructure. Unheated pipes are often found in areas such as closets, utility rooms and crawl spaces. Basements and attics may also have unheated pipes.
What Does Plumbing Maintenance Include?
Plumbing maintenance once every two years are highly recommended to keep your plumbing system working properly and efficiently. Most plumbers in Mesa offer maintenance service that includes:
- Inspecting Pipes and Fittings: This involves looking for any signs of wear and tear, corrosion and blockages.
- Checking Valves: The valves play an important role in regulating water pressure, so they should be inspected regularly.
- Testing the Water Pressure: This will tell you if your water pressure is too low or high.
- Cleaning Drains and Traps: Plumbers use plumber’s putty to seal areas around drains and pipes, and then use a liquid cleaner to remove any build-up in the pipes. They also perform preventive maintenance by using plumber’s tape to prevent leaks.
- Testing Radiators and Pumps: A professional will also inspect your radiators for any signs of corrosion or wear and tear. They will also check the pump to make sure it is operating properly.
Depending on how used your plumbing system is, plumbers may recommend more frequent maintenance for some parts. With regular maintenance and inspections, you can prevent major problems from developing and save yourself a lot of money in the long run.
What Are the Major Causes of Failure of Pipes?
As much as we want to keep our pipelines in perfect condition, sometimes they can fail due to certain factors.
- Leaking Joints: Leaks are often caused by loose or broken joints in your pipes. It is important to make sure these areas are properly sealed with plumber’s putty or tape for a long-lasting solution.
- Corrosion: Corrosion is the number one enemy of metal pipes and can cause failure in the long run. Make sure to use appropriate materials for your plumbing system, such as copper pipes for hot water and plastic for cold. Depending on whether internal or external corrosion is present, plumbers can then work on a solution.
- Tree Roots: If your property has trees or large shrubs nearby, their roots can cause damage to the pipes over time. And since the location of the root, as well as the pipes, are often difficult to pinpoint, a professional plumber can use specialized tools for detection.
- SCC: SCC or Stress Corrosion Cracking occurs when there is a combination of corrosion and stress in the pipe. This often happens in older pipes due to mineral build-up or improper installation.
- SSC: Selective Service Cracking can cause the failure of pipes, valves, and fittings due to the presence of chlorides in the water.
- Natural Force Damage: Natural forces such as storms and earthquakes can easily cause pipes to break or leak. Freezing and bursting can also occur due to sudden changes in water pressure.
How Do You Know if Your House Needs Repiping?
For starters, repiping is when all or part of your plumbing system is replaced with new pipes. This will often happen when a home requires extensive renovations, such as after a flood or if the current infrastructure has already reached its life expectancy (about 25-30 years). Aside from the upfront cost, this type of plumbing project can also be highly disruptive since walls and ceilings need to be opened up.
If your house is over 25 years old, you can inspect for any signs of piping failure. These include:
- Low water pressure
- Discolored or foul-smelling water
- Leaking faucets
- Visible corrosion on pipes
A simple plumbers’ tape or plumbers’ putty solution will not suffice if you experience any of these signs. It is highly recommended to consult with a professional plumber as soon as possible who can look into the issue and recommend whether or not your home needs repiping.
Another thing is that professionals can easily spot any potential problems with your plumbing system before they become serious issues. And compared to DIY, professional plumbers in Phoenix or plumbers in Chandler (or wherever you may reside) can do the repiping faster, more accurate, and with a higher quality of results.
Can Plumbing Issues Make You Sick?
There are several plumbing issues that pose health risks. Contaminated water can cause serious illnesses, especially if it is not disposed of correctly or if the piping system is leaking.
Apart from that, clogged pipes and sewers are also a health hazard since they can produce an unpleasant smell that can affect air quality in the house. Poorly ventilated bathrooms are also breeding grounds for mold and mildew.
Salmonella, E. coli, and Shigella are some of the most common waterborne illnesses caused by contaminated water. Stagnant water, on the other hand, can also cause health problems due to improper drainage.
It is thus important to consult with a professional plumber to inspect the system and identify any potential issues. A comprehensive inspection can help you avoid costly repairs in the long run and protect your family from diseases caused by poor water quality or drainage.
By following the tips outlined above, you should be able to keep your plumbing system in good shape and keep your family safe from potential health risks. A reputable plumber can also provide advice on how to maintain your plumbing system and help you identify any potential problems before they become serious. Thus, it is important to hire a professional plumber if you have any doubts or concerns about the condition of your plumbing system.
Contact P&L Today
Looking for the best plumbers near me? If you are in Mesa, Gilbert, Phoenix, and other surrounding cities and are faced with a plumbing issue, know that P&L Plumbing is here to assist you. We offer comprehensive plumbing services such as water heater installation, sewer line repair, repiping, and more.
We have a team of experienced professionals who can take care of your needs in no time. Call us today at (480) 649-4400 and get a quote. Our line is open from 7 AM to 7 PM.